•Owned by @Macarlo
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition
Grisoft has announced on June 27th, 2005, the release of its AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall, which combines the protection of AVG Anti-Virus with an integrated firewall. The final release version is further enhanced from the beta version which itself was positively reviewed. We tested this one on our Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition enhanced with Talisman Desktop an it runs fine, without problems with other security softs that we are using currently as My Firewall Plus and Computer Associates Antivirus. Very simple install, intuitive interface and automatic configuration for firewall available. Ratted the maximum: 5 Butterflies.
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition is the ideal product to protect your single home PC or workstation from external threats such as viruses, the Internet, or other network users.
* It is simple to install and operate. No IT expertise is required and it can run in the background, providing uninterrupted protection. All unauthorized network activity is blocked automatically, allowing you to get on with your work without worrying about external attacks.
* All file and e-mail activity is continually scanned to eliminate the threat of viruses.
* It is extremely fast, reliable and light on resources, so, no matter how demanding a user you are, it will not slow down your performance.
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition comes with all the features you would expect from a professional antivirus and firewall product, plus much more...
* A 2 year license, so you can receive free updates and full product support for a whole 2 years. It includes free 24 hour a day e-mail access to Grisoft’s team of technical experts.
2 Year License
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition comes complete with a 2 year license, giving you double the value, compared with other manufacturer’s 1 year licenses. You have free access to all updates and technical support for the full term of the license and for all of the licensed PCs. You can purchase 1, 2 or 5 workstation licenses.
* Free program updates are provided via ultra reliable Akamai servers. AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition updates itself automatically whenever updates are available. Alternatively you can update manually, or configure AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall to download updates at a scheduled time that suits you.
* AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall is simple to install, without the need to remove your existing firewall or antivirus product. Of course once AVG is installed there’s no need to run your old product.
* AVG holds the VB100% award and is ICSA certified, so there’s no better antivirus product available.
* AVG also offers protection against the most malicious forms of spyware, adware, malware, and keystroke logging programs.
* AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition has many more features that make it the best value firewall protection available.
* Multiple language support in one package. No need to buy a special language version as all languages are included in the one product. A simple click of the mouse and the entire interface (including help files) will instantly change to your required language.
Multiple Language Support
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition comes complete with language support for all of the following languages: * Czech * English * French * German * Polish * Portuguese * Serbian * Slovak * Spanish
More Product Features
* Provides full protection against Trojan Horses and Malware, helping to ensure that your personal data remains private and secure.
* Hides your PC on the internet, providing protection from hackers.
* Dual standard / advanced configuration screens allow simple operation for most users, but with advanced configuration options for more advanced users.
* Firewall rules help prevent access from hackers, Trojans and external denial-of-service attacks.
* The Configuration Wizard quickly defines default firewall rules for most popular software, making it even easier for users to set up.
* Flexible firewall rules allow the user to specify if traffic should be always allowed / blocked or if the user should be prompted to decide. Firewall rules can be applied to individual programs, so the user can give more access to trusted programs whilst strictly controlling access for other software.
* Simple creation of new firewall rules for new programs. As the program attempts to connect for the first time, AVG Firewall will prompt the users to accept or block access. From this selection a new permanent connection rule can be established.
* AVG Firewall supports multi-user logging in Windows XP and, by default, blocks all communication if no user is logged in, providing maximum security against intrusions.
* The Stop All Traffic feature allows the user to temporarily block all traffic to and from the computer. The Allow Traffic button will resume traffic flow according to the normal operating rules.
* AVG Firewall provides full logging facilities to log all firewall activities. Firewall logs can be viewed in standard or advanced mode.
* Advanced configuration provides control over which services and network connections a program can operate, allowing more flexibility and control for the user.
* The powerful Resident Shield provides maximum protection by scanning every file opened, executed, or saved. It will also prevent you from opening or executing any infected files.
* The E-mail Scanner checks every e-mail, sent or received, providing much needed protection from e-mail borne threats. Support is provided for all leading e-mail clients including MS Outlook, Outlook Express, and Eudora, in addition to supporting encrypted connections.
* AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall can scan Instant Message attachments for viruses and other threats.
* AVG’s Checking Engine uses a unique combination of heuristic analysis and generic detection methods to detect all know viruses.
* Automatically attempts to heal infected files from viruses, and other threats such as Trojans, worms, java applets, malware and ActiveX controls. Unhealed files are quarantined in the Virus Vault.
* AVG’s Integrity Checking monitors for suspicious changes to key executable files, further enhancing your PC’s security.
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition comes complete with all the help you could possibly need.
* Extensive context-sensitive help.
* Comprehensive online-help at our website.
* Search our technical FAQ section, or contact our technical support team.
* Free 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, technical e-mail support.
VisNetic Firewall 2.25
VisNetic Firewall is a packet-filtering software firewall built to protect Windows-based Servers, telecommuters / mobile users, and LAN workstations not currently protected by a firewall. VisNetic Firewall is more secure than application-based personal firewalls, yet less expensive than high-end software firewalls. Organizations running software and/or hardware Internet sharing solutions are as concerned about internal threats as they are about external threats. There is currently not a hardware firewall solution that protects companies against these threats and existing software firewall solutions are priced outside of the small to medium business market. Note that this firewall is not exactly for home users needing to block or allow apps and more...But if you are a professional you will need this one!
VisNetic Firewall v2.2.5 (as compared to v2.2) November 23, 2004
-Column sorting has been added to the Ban List display.
-Firewall will now remember "last save" path.
-Added confirmation dialog when firewall setting is changed to Block All Entries in the log window can now be changed from descending to ascending by clicking on the Time column header.
-Fix for several bugs that could cause crashing.
-When editing a rule, if it was set to show a port range and you changed it to "one number", the second port field was still displayed.
-When editing a rule, the new Tarpit option was shown only when the Ban option was selected. The Tarpit option is available for Block rules and is not limited to Block+Ban. If you choose just Block+Tarpit, then only connections that match this rule are tarpitted. An offender could be tarpitted on port 21, let's say, but be allowed to connect on port 80. Just for completeness, if the rule were set to Block+Ban+Tarpit and they connect and match this rule, they are banned and tarpitted and any attempt to connect on another port has them tarpitted as well.
-Fix to crash caused by sorting an empty list in the Groups dialog.
-Fix to Groups import not adding new entries to the correct group.
-Fix to Groups import not handling duplicate entries correctly.
-Fix to error on Save As dialog caused by firewall looking for an incorrect path.
-Fix to ban list import not working correctly when importing IP addresses that contain a leading zero in any octet.
-Fix to rules that use Groups not working correctly with the rule was created using the Remote Admin tool.
Kaspersky Lab, a leading vendor of secure content management solutions, announces the release of a new version of the personal firewall, Kaspersky® Anti-Hacker 1.7. This new release contains a host of upgrades in comparison with the previous version. Kaspersky AntiHacker is a personal product and a server as Windows 2003 is not supported. Also it should not be installed if another firewall is already on the system with the exception of the one that comes with XP SP2. This firewall is really fine and improved, with a lot of options and features, and it is very intuitive. Anyone can use it with total success and without any problem.
Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is a personal firewall designed to protect computers running under Windows from unsanctioned access and hacker attacks. The firewall monitors all network operations, application activity, packet filtration of incoming and outgoing data. Confidential data is secure.
The new version retained the features that made version 1.5 so popular: an ergonomic user interface and ease-of-use, especially for novice users. Installation is simple and a 5 point scale provides users with an easy way to configure protection. Kaspersky Anti-Hacker still works in stealth mode, where the local machine blocks all external network requests: the user can surf the Internet, invisible and secure.
New features include compatibility MS SP2, something Windows XP users are sure to appreciate. Kaspersky Lab developers have analyzed user feedback and modified the product in accordance with user comments, eliminating features that users asked to have removed.
Kaspersky Anti-Hacker performs the following functions:
• Monitors the TCP/IP network activity of all applications running on your machine. If it detects any suspicious actions, the program notifies you and if required, blocks the suspect application from accessing the network. This allows you to preserve confidential data on your machine. For example, if a Trojan tries to transmit any data from your computer, Kaspersky Anti-Hacker will block this malware from accessing the Internet. • The SmartStealth™ technique makes it difficult to detect your computer from outside. As a result, hackers will lose the target and all their attempts to access your computer will be doomed to fail. Besides, this allows for prevention of the DoS (Denial of Service) attack of all types. At the same time you will not feel any negative influence of this mode while working on the Web: the program provides conventional transparency and accessibility of the data. • Blocks the most common hacker network attacks by permanently filtering the incoming and outgoing traffic, and also notifies the user about any such attacks.
• Monitors for attempts to scan your ports (these attempts are usually followed by attacks), and prohibits any further communication with the attacking machine.
• Allows you to review the list of all established connections, open ports, and active network applications, and if required, lets you terminate unwanted connections.
• Allows you to secure your machine from hacker attacks without special configuration of program settings. The program allows simplified management by choosing one of five security levels: Block all, High, Medium, Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 7 Low, Allow all. By default the program starts with the Medium level, which is a training mode that will automatically configure your security system depending on your responses to various events.
• Allows flexibility of security system configuration. In particular, you can set the program to filter network operations into wanted and unwanted, and you can configure the Intrusion Detection System.
• Allows you to log certain security-related network events to various special- purpose logs. If required, you can define the detail level of the log entries. The program may be used as a separate software product or as an integral component of various Kaspersky Lab's solutions.
This product is available in 2 editions: Freeware and Professional. The Professional edition includes hacker tracing, IP blocking and selective port opening. I evaluated the Freeware edition and it runs fine also on Windows 2003 Server! Very simple, intuitive and really functional, this firewall very good.
You can purchase Omniquad Personal Firewall Professional for $39, but it is also included as a part of Omniquad Total Security Home – (costs $59).
Omniquad Personal Firewall it keeps your computer shielded from hackers by blocking all unsolicited network connections and traffic to your computer, yet you can browse the web unaffected. In addition to making your computer invisible, it gives you a full control over what programs on your computer gain access to the Internet.
- 4-level packet filter firewall protection for the local network / dial up/ ASDL and cable modem connections
- global lock immediately shuts down all net access
- define & enforce trusted zones
- alerts for denied network connection attempts
- real-time network activity indicators
- 3-level program control intercepting connection attempts by any program on your computer
- automatic lock shuts down internet access after specified period of inactivity
Benefits and Features
- 4-level packet filter firewall protection for the local network / dial up/
ASDL and cable modem connections
- Global lock immediately shuts down all net access
- Define & enforce trusted zones
- Alerts for denied network connection attempts
- Real-time network activity indicators
- 3-level program control intercepting connection attempts by any program on your computer
- Automatic lock shuts down internet access after specified period of inactivity
- User Friendly.
- Easy configuration options.
- Compatible with all Windows 9x and above.
- Windows 95 users require the Winsock2 upgrade from Microsoft
- PC with 486 or higher processor (Pentium recommended)
- 8MB of free hard drive space for installation.
- 32MB RAM.
Prevx Home Series
Prevx Home is a standalone version of Intrusion Prevention software (IPS). It was developed from Prevx Enterprise, uses Enterprise technology, and was specifically produced for the home user. Prevx Home is provided free of charge, subject to terms and conditions.
It is part of a range of products and services designed for home users, small businesses, large corporations, and Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Details of other Prevx products can be found at the Prevx web site.
Prevx Home was designed to be simple to install and use, and does not require you to set up complex rules or configuration settings. Security settings and product updates are downloaded to your computer when required.
It provides you with protection against attacks that can bypass traditional firewall A combination of hardware and software, configured to prevent unauthorized external access to a computer or network., anti-virus, and others security tools as they are designed to deal with known threats compared against a signature database. Prevx examines activity on your computer and looks for suspicious behavior.
Prevx Home will stop hack attacks, internet worms and the installation of spyware.
Why is Prevx Home Free?
In return for providing Prevx Home for free, all we ask is that you agree to take part in the fight against cyber crime. How? Well, when Prevx Home detects an Event on your computer, some information is sent to Prevx. No personal information about you is collected.
Spyware Blocker v2.60
AlertWall Personal Firewall Spyware Blocker Software v2.60 is a personal firewall that runs fine on workstations and I evaluated it also on Windows 2003 Server, without any problems or conflicts (icluding with my installed versions of McAfee Desktop 8 and Tiny 6 Pro). This one is just for beginners and does not requires experience with complicated and "hermetic" firewall issues. All you need for security in your PC this firewall does automatically for you and you must have only reply some very simple questions in its query banners.
* Alert you about SpyWare and AdWare: Protection from programs that try to send or request information from the Internet.
* Alert you about Trojan Horse Programs: Protection from programs that try to act as a server (possibly receiving instructions or sending important data to a hacker).
* Alert you about Hackers: Protection from hackers that try to access your computer from the Internet or network.
* Learns how you use your computer: When new threats are encountered, AlertWall asks you whether to block or allow these potential attacks. For example, you know it's ok to grant Internet access to your browser. When AlertWall asks you, reply YES and check the box to Remember my answer. This way, the next time your browser accesses the Internet, AlertWall personal firewall will remember, and won't bother you again.
Did you know that secret programs (Spyware and Trojan Horses) can invisibly send your personal data out to the Internet?
Did you know thousands of robot programs search the Internet for security leaks. They look for computers with security holes - like yours! You're even more likely to be attacked if you use Cable or DSL because your ISP isn't providing FireWall services for you like they do with modems.
It's important to have an anti-virus program (like norton) to fix viruses, but AlertWall can help PREVENT a virus from getting on your system in the first place!
How AlertWall works:
* When any program or process attempts to access your Internet connection, a window pops up that asks whether you want to allow or deny access to that program. It will learn based on the answers you give.
* In addition, AlertWall Personal Firewall software protects you from incoming hacker traffic. If an unknown outside computer tries to connect to your computer, you once again see an alert. If you know it's a 'friendly' computer, you can allow it, of not, deny access to that outside computer.
* AlertWall learns how you use your computer and remembers your answers. This way, after a few days, you'll barely know it's running except you'll have the peace of mind knowing hackers and spyware are not violating your computer!
Armor 2net series
Personal Firewall 3.12
Armor2net personal firewall software stops hackers, data thieves, and protects your PC from Internet-borne threats. Armor2net can meet your requirements for Internet security and Internet privacy.
This PC firewall monitors all Internet connections to and from your computer to ensure that only legitimate traffic is allowed and alerts you to attempted intrusions. You have the option to grant and deny access to Internet on a per-application basis, thus preventing worm, Trojan horse and spyware programs from hurting your computer.
Armor2net shows the currently active connections and the details of these connections. With this personal firewall, you can shut off any unsafe connection, block the dangerous internet sites.
More features. Pop-up stopper: Armor2net stops browsers pop-up ads windows. You can also customize it on each individual web site. Spyware remover: Detect your memory, registry and hard drives for known spyware components and remove spywares safely.
Armor2nets interface is easy to use and amiable. It will bring you a smoother experience. Armor2net is intelligent firewall software. Many actions will be automatically processed. You will be free from the tedious and trivial operations. This one really works fine and have not incompatibility with another firewal; I evaluated it with My Firewall Plus, McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and Zone Alarm without any problem!!
Personal Firewall 4.1
Kerio Personal Firewall is a software application protecting personal computers with Windows from external intrusions (typically from the Internet), viruses and data leak. Security is provided especially by the following four components:
This module controls all network (TCP/IP) traffic of the computer on which Kerio Personal Firewall is installed. Two types of rules can be defined for network communication:
application rules — it is possible to permit/deny network communication for individual applications or set that Kerio Personal Firewall asks user.
packet filter rules — advanced packet rules for network traffic can be defined (specification of IP addresses, protocols, ports, etc.). These rules can be applied either on individual applications or generally (on any application).
Kerio Personal Firewall includes set of predefined network security rules (i.e. for DNS, DHCP, etc.). These rules are separated from user-defined rules and they can be enabled or disabled.
Whenever Kerio Personal Firewall detects traffic which does not meet any rule, user will be asked to permit or deny the communication. Optionally, a corresponding application or packet filter rule can be created automatically upon this decision.
The System Security module controls running applications in the operating system. The following event types are controlled:
replacements of the application's executable file since the last startup (application replacement)
running another application by the particular application
Like in case of network traffic, rules for individual applications can be defined. These rules either permit or deny the event, eventually they ask user. If a communication does not meet any rule, Kerio Personal Firewall automatically asks user to permit or deny running the application.
Note: Kerio Personal Firewall 4.x (unlike older versions) controls running of all applications, regardless of the fact whether they participate in network communication or not. When infected, the firewall is more reliable than any antivirus (if the virus is new and it is not included in a particular virus database, antivirus is not able to detect it — Kerio Personal Firewall detects replacement of the executable file and warns user).
The Intrusion Detection System (IDS) can distinguish, block and log known intrusion types. For this purpose Kerio Personal Firewall uses database of known intrusions. This database is updated regularly (updated database is included in new product versions).
Web content filtering
This module enables the following features:
blocking of ads (according to URI/URL rules), scripts and other Web items
blocking of pop-up windows
protection from undesirable cookies storage and outflow of private data from Web application forms.
Exceptions (specific settings) can be defined for trustful servers and for cases when filtering might cause malfunctions.
Boot time protection
Kerio Personal Firewall's low-level driver protects the computer even when the firewall is not running (e.g. during the operation system reboot or during an installation of a new version of the firewall). This implies that the computer is protected all time it is available to external stations.
The following functions and features are also provided by Kerio Personal Firewall:
Stop all traffic
Use this button (or the option in the menu) to stop all traffic on the computer on which Kerio Personal Firewall is installed (so called network lock). This function may be very helpful especially when an undesirable or a queer network activity is detected — traffic can be restored when appropriate actions are taken.
Each firewall module creates an independent log which is stored into a text file. Logs can be viewed in Kerio Personal Firewall configuration dialog. Optionally, logs can be stored on a Syslog server.
Connections overview and statistics
The overview provides information on established connections and ports opened by individual applications. Information on current speed and size of transmitted data in both directions is also provided for active connections. The overview is refresh automatically in predefined time intervals.
Statistics inform user on number of objects blocked by the Web content filter and number of detected intrusions per a certain time period.
Kerio Personal Firewall performs regular checks for new versions. Whenever a new version is detected, download and installation is offered. Checks for new versions can be also performed by hand.
Warning: None of the versions of the Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can be used on Windows Server operating systems, such as Windows NT Server, Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003.
McAfee Personal series
(Above: McAfee interface & Tiny's banner-alert)
Personal Firewall Plus
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus software offers advanced protection for your computer and your personal data. Personal Firewall establishes a barrier between your computer and the Internet, silently monitoring Internet traffic for suspicious activities.
With it, you get the following features:
Defends against potential hacker probes and attacks
Complements anti-virus defenses
Monitors Internet and network activity
Alerts you to potentially hostile events
Provides detailed information on suspicious Internet traffic
Integrates Hackerwatch.org functionality, including event reporting, self-testing tools and the ability to email reported events to other online authorities
Provides detailed tracing and event research features using maps
This version of McAfee Firewall software provides the following new features:
Enhanced HackerWatch.org Integration
Reporting potential hackers is easier than ever. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus improves the functionality of HackerWatch.org, which includes event submission of potentially malicious events to the database.
Extended Intelligent Application Handling
When an application seeks Internet access, Personal Firewall first checks whether it recognizes the application as trusted or malicious. If the application is recognized as trusted, Personal Firewall automatically allows it access to the Internet so you do not have to. This database has been enhanced to provide users with more details about the applications connecting to the Internet.
Advanced Trojan Detection
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus combines application connection management with an enhanced database to detect and block more potentially malicious applications, such as Trojans, from accessing the Internet and potentially relaying your personal data.
Improved Visual Tracing
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus includes an updated intruder-tracing tool known as Visual Trace. Visual Trace includes easy-to-read graphical maps showing the originating source of hostile attacks and traffic worldwide, including detailed contact/owner information from originating IP addresses and all subsequent steps to your computer. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus has added more geographical data to the Visual Trace feature which enhances location details and provides more visual pin-pointed locations of intruders. Visual Trace allows users to visually track where intrusions originate, and with this new data, users are able to see a better graphical representation of their searches.
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus includes a Setup Assistant and a User Tutorial to guide users in the setup and use of their firewall. Although the product is designed to use without any intervention, McAfee provides users with a wealth of resources to understand and appreciate what the firewall provides for them.
Improved Intrusion Prevention
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus protects your privacy more than ever by providing intrusion prevention of possible Internet threats. Using heuristic-like functionality, McAfee provides a tertiary layer of protection by blocking items that display symptoms of attacks or characteristics of hack attempts.
Enhanced Traffic Analysis
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus offers users a view of both incoming and outgoing data from their computers, as well as displaying application connections including applications that are actively "listening" for open connections. This allows users to see and act upon applications that might be open for intrusion.
McAfee Desktop series
Desktop Firewall 8
What is Desktop Firewall?
The Desktop Firewall software provides security for individual computers. It protects computers from external threats (such as hackers) and from internal threats (such as some viruses). It secures computers using several features, including:
A firewall that inspects incoming and outgoing network traffic, and either blocks it or allows it, based on rules that you set up.
An application monitoring system, which monitors the applications you use and prevents those you specify from starting, or from binding themselves to other programs.
An intrusion detection system (IDS) that scans traffic destined for your computer and identifies any potential attacks on your system.
An activity log that records information about Desktop Firewall actions. You can use this log to troubleshoot problems, or review past activities.
You can use all of these features together, or only those features that you need.
About the firewall
Desktop Firewall includes a software firewall feature. This firewall is a program that acts as a filter between your computer and the network or Internet. The firewall can scan all traffic arriving at your computer (incoming traffic) and all traffic sent by your computer (outgoing traffic). It scans traffic at the packet level. As it reviews each arriving or departing packet, the firewall checks its list of rules. A rule is a set of criteria with an associated action. If a packet matches all the criteria in a rule, the firewall performs the action specified by the rule — either allowing the packet through the firewall, or blocking it.
For example, a rule might allow DNS lookups. To accomplish this, the rule would specify that it only applies to packets using the UDP protocol and the DNS service (on port 53). The associated action would be ‘Allow.’ Any time the firewall intercepted a DNS lookup packet, it would check its rule list, find that the packet matched this particular rule, and allow it through the firewall.
You can make rules as simple or complex as you need them. Desktop Firewall supports rules based on:
IP and non-IP protocols.
The direction of the network traffic (incoming, outgoing, or both).
The application that generated the traffic.
The service or port used by your computer (as the recipient or the sender).
The service or port used by the remote computer (as the sender or the recipient).
The IP address(es) used by the packet.
The time of day or week that the packet was sent.
To make configuring the firewall feature simpler, Desktop Firewall offers:
A protection level is a collection of default rules and firewall settings. Desktop Firewall comes with several predefined protection levels for different situations. To switch to a protection level, you simply select its name from the Protection Level list on the Firewall Policy tab.
You can also create customized collections of rules and settings that apply to all Desktop Firewall features (not just the firewall). These are called policy archives, and they appear in the Protection Level list.
If you are not certain what rules you need, you can also enable Learn Mode. In this mode, Desktop Firewall prompts you whenever it intercepts a packet that it does not know how to handle (it does not have a rule for it). The software prompts you to select an action (allow or block), and then automatically creates a new rule to cover packets of this type in future.
You can create rules and configure the firewall feature using the Firewall Policy tab in the main Desktop Firewall window.
Bitguard Personal Firewall is designed to specifically meet the needs of home users with networked computers connected to an intranet or the Internet. This program is really improved, but uses a very complicated method for registration in order to prevent fraud (crack etc). This version does not runs on Windows 2003 Server.
It is packed with features to control all traffic and launch of applications, and to protect against attacks and the spreading of malicious data.
Based on a simple, easy understandable firewall structure that facilitates the configuration and ensures maximum security, the Bitguard Personal Firewall will provide a high level of protection.
Features & Benefits
* Process Control – Control which applications are able to run on the computer, and prevent the execution of specific applications.
* Stealth ports – hides ports on the computer, to prevent attacks and port-scans.
* Protects system against unknown threats – By configuring the firewall to prevent unknown processes from execution and communication, a system can be secured from undiscovered threats.
* Gigabit & Wireless Compatible – Offers fast stable protection on Gigabit and Wireless connections.
* Encrypted databases – Provides security against malicious code trying to attack the firewall configuration.
* Always Protecting – All security elements located indevice drivers that cannot be stopped without administrative, ensuring full protection at all times.
* Password protection – Enables the user to fully lock the firewall to prevent unwanted configuration of the product.
* Driver based – Implemented at the lowest possible level as NDIS Miniport and TDI drivers.
* No hidden configurations – Simple and easy to manage configuration where all settings are visible with easy access.
* Low system requirements – Minimum system overhead required.
* Block unwanted traffic – Configurable to automatically drop any illegal or unwanted network traffic.
* Live statistics with Network Matrix – Graphical view of the activity on your network in real-time.
* Computer – Intel 80486 processor or higher or 100% compatible.
* Memory – Operating system requirements plus additional 16 MB.
* Platform – Windows XP Professional, Home Edition; Windows 2000 Professional, Windows ME, 98.
* Disk Space – Requires less than 5 MB.
* Communications – TCP/IP with Internet access.
My Firewall Plus series
My Firewall Plus have basically the same interface of Sygate Personal Firewall. Is more than an advanced, user-friendly personal firewall, it's a bi-directional intrusion defense system. It ensures your personal computer is completely protected from malicious hackers and other intruders while preventing unauthorized access from your computer to a network. In essence, it makes your protected machines invisible to the outside world. That makes it a must-have security measure for any PC that connects to a private network or the public Internet. Once you've been compromised, every other network you connect to is at risk; including your home, business and online bank accounts. No matter where you use your computer, whether remote or behind a corporate firewall, whether dial-up or an always-on broadband Internet connection, it gives you complete confidence that your precious business, personal, financial and other data is safe and secure. Both My Firewall Plus and Sygate Personal Firewall can be used with Tiny Pro 6 without problems and this combination runs really fine!
My Firewall Plus provides an advanced, multi-layered shield for Internet users.
* network connection control
* content protection
* application verification
* operating system security
Allows only recognized network traffic and applications access to your computer.
Hostile program protection
Prevents hostile programs such as malicious code and Trojans from accessing your computer through custom protocol drivers.
Intrusion Alert and Block
Detects and blocks intrusion attempt in real-time and immediately notifies you of the problem.
Proactive vulnerability assessment
Finds and closes security holes before would-be attackers can use them, protecting your PC from vulnerabilities including Code Insertion, Protocol Driver, and XP Universal Plug and Play.
Automatically detects user’s Internet connections and settings for a quick and easy installation.
The auto-update check at start-up ensures that you are fully protected and always have the latest security features in place.
Advanced bidirectional protection prevents incoming and outgoing attacks.
Agnitum Outpost Series
Firewall Pro 2.5.370.370
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro is acknowledged as one of the most secure and easy to use firewall software solutions.
Outpost Firewall Pro provides the following safeguards:
- Protection against hacker attacks;
- Protection against Internet worms;
- Protection of sensitive and valuable information and data;
- Protection of private information and maintenance of Web privacy;
- Monitoring of the system and application network activity.
Outpost firewall automatically configures itself during installation and optimizes its configuration to match the system on which it is installed. Furthermore, you don’t need to worry about keeping your protection up-to-date because Outpost features an automatic update utility, which keeps Outpost current and ready to avert network intruders.
Outpost Firewall Pro provides a superior arsenal of defence against PC infiltration by denying unauthorized access by remote hackers and protecting against data theft, denial-of-service attacks, privacy violation, Trojan horses, spyware and more. Four major criteria define Outpost Firewall Pro: security, control, privacy and ease of use. Some major features of Outpost are listed below:
- Attack Detection Plug-in:
* averts and reports all known kinds of attacks against the system
* port scan detection
- Attachment Quarantine guards against dangerous attachments and worms;
- Components Control (Anti-Leak) feature monitors components of each application on the system;
- Stateful Inspection firewall technology provides superior security to packet filtering;
- Windows Boot-up protection defends the system before any malicious programs can be loaded;
- Network activity monitoring;
- Log Viewer
- Filtering of web content
- One click to block all traffic or disable the firewall;
- Active Content plug-in:
- Flexible web history (referrers) blocking
- Flexible blocking of cookies and other active elements;
- Trusted Sites list;
- Blocking of banners (including Flash ads) and pop-up window;
- Hidden Process Control and Component Control: blocks spyware connections
Ease of Use and Compatibility
- Auto-configuration of rules for applications during installation;
- Predefined system and application settings cover all common tasks such as browsing the web, allowing ICQ, allowing DNS or DHCP, etc;
- Seamless migration from earlier versions with the help of Agnitum Update;
- Wizard mode simplifies automatic rule creation;
Platinum Antivirus & Firewall
Panda Antivirus Platinum includes a complete range of services to help you in every aspect of virus protection. In addition to powerful detection and disinfection capacity, all good antivirus tools need to include these kinds of services. Panda Software is well aware of this and offers the firewall. This one is very simple and works fine, sendig to you its banner if any application or a simple *.exe file tries to start or to access the Net; also all inbound are filtered. If you are a beginner in firewalls Panda is just for you: no sophisticated features exist and no highly specialized knowledge are needed...just reply the Panda banner and that is all...
This is an additional security systems that is integrated in Panda Antivirus Platinum. It is advisable to use it in order to guarantee the security of computers connected to the Internet or to a network. It consists of a defense system whose aim is to place a control barrier between your computer and the network. It only allows the data that you select to pass through, strictly adhering to the functioning policies that you define. Panda offers technical support: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, qualified technicians will be on hand to help. We offer you all the means necessary to make it easy and comfortable to contact us: solving problems via e-mail, fax, postal mail, and through our website (www.pandasoftware.com). Internet tech support will help you to contact us and quickly find the solution to your problem, inquiry etc.
Tiny Firewall Pro 6 series
Tiny Firewall Pro v6.0
Tiny Firewall (formerly Tiny Personal Firewall) represents smart, easy-to-use personal security technology that fully protects personal computers against hackers. Built on ICSA-certified security technology, it is also an integral part of The Tiny Software Centrally Managed Desktop Security system selected by the US Air Force for its approximately 500,000 desktop computers. I personally consider that this firewall is just the stat of the art in the firewall's world, but the user must be an expert in Windows security and more. Also beginners can use this release without problems but for those ones I strongly recommend a complete lecture of its Help in order to understad how trojans works.
Tiny Software, Inc. released new build of its popular Tiny Firewall 6.0. The new build sports brand new unique feature which is a selective filtering of the VPN traffic coming through Cisco VPN client.
Up until now the network administrators did not have easy way of specifying which network traffic from which application may or may not pass through VPN tunnel. This changed with Tiny Firewall 6.0.140. Tiny Firewall in its version 6.0.140 allows to put Cisco VPN client into a specific zone and apply only certain rules to the network traffic passing through such zone. Just drag and drop cisco interface visible in the interfaces table into a proper zone and you can start creating specific rules.
Zone Alarm series
ZoneAlarm Pro automatically blocks known and unknown Internet threats for home users, small-business owners, and corporate employees working remotely. The program monitors outgoing application traffic, as well as incoming traffic to protect you from any local applications attempting to use your Internet connection to communicate with the outside world. You have the option to grant or deny access on a per-application basis, customizing the protection of your system. ZoneAlarm Pro also offers password protection, automatic mobile-PC protection, and e-mail-attachment protection for 47 file types. ZoneAlarm is very simple and intuitive but it is one of the most efficient firewalls currently availabvle on the Web. I recently evaluated version 5.5.062 (the most recent at this time) but I captured the photos above from another version, older.
Zone Alarm Pro v 5.0 by Zone Labs is the leading firewall for home users and small businesses. Zone Alarm Pro has won many awards over the years, and the technology is used by over 30 million users world wide. Zone Alarm has added some key features to the latest release including better support for Wireless networks, added spyware and adware blocking, enhanced privacy controls and more automated setup.
Easy-to-use firewall blocks hackers and other unknown threats.
Intrusion Blocking systematically identifies hackers and blocks access attempts.
Stealth Mode automatically makes your computer invisible to anyone on the Internet.
Automatic Program Configuration provides safety and simplicity by automatically configuring programs. Automatically decides whether to allow or deny Internet access to individual programs.
Expert Controls give savvy users precise control over security settings.
Protects against identify theft and online profiling.
ID Lock prevents your personal data from leaving your computer without your approval.
Ad Blocking automatically stops pop-up ads so you can surf in peace.
Security Scanner scans your hard drive for adware cookies and deletes them with a single click.
Hacker ID anonymously tracks hacker attempts on your PC and allows you to report offenders to the Internet Service Providers.
Cookie Control prevents incoming adware from being installed on your PC, yet allows cookies from trusted sites.
Quarantines suspicious email attachments and blocks outbound messages containing potential viruses.
Inbound MailSafe automatically quarantines suspicious email attachments, preventing them from auto-launching or being opened by accident.
Outbound MailSafe automatically monitors outgoing email and halts messages with potential viruses before they're transmitted. Prevents worms and viruses from sending infected emails to everyone in your address book.
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP, 233 MHz Pentium or higher, 10MB of available hard disk space, Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP). Supported protocols for email scanning: POP3 and IMAP4 for incoming; SMTP for outgoing.
Personal Firewall 2005 7
Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall 2005 (Version 7) keeps personal data in and hackers out. Right out of the box, it makes your PC invisible on the Internet so that hackers can’t find it. The program’s intelligent intrusion prevention technology blocks suspicious Internet traffic. And easy-to-use privacy controls prevent personal information from being sent out without your knowledge.
In my evaluation I consider Norton Personal Firewall 2005 an excellent security tool, but excessivelly complicated and not intuitive. The install package exceeds 28 MB and the installation creates various icons in the add/remove programs Windows (Control Panel).
NEW! Confidential information blocking now lets you send personal data to sites you trust while protecting you from sending it to sites you don’t.
NEW! Automatically turns the firewall back on after a set period of time if you need to turn it off temporarily.
Hides your PC on the Internet so that hackers can’t find it.
Intrusion prevention technology automatically blocks suspicious incoming traffic.
Norton™ Privacy Control prevents data from being sent without your knowledge in email, instant messages, Microsoft® Office attachments, and Web forms.
Program Control only allows authorized programs to connect to the Internet.
A Web assistant lets you block ads and access other program options from Microsoft® Internet Explorer.
LiveUpdate™ automatically checks for new protection updates when you’re online.*
Personal Firewall RC1
Jetico Personal Firewall is a new one on this security scenario and I evaluated its Release Candidate 1. Sincerelly, that is the first time that I saw a firewall Beta running just fine as a GA!! Jetico really gives you total control on your network. The software is designed as open as possible to make its security evaluation easier. It concerns many aspects of the software, including a modular architecture, detailed and configurable log events' reports, viewing and editing the firewall rules. Please read also Notes concerning beta testing chapter for better understanding of some moments that are important at the stage of the software evaluation.
The Jetico Personal Firewall software allows the user:
* Protect computer from both inbound hackers' attacks from network as well as from unwished network access attempts performed by malicious software.
* Choose a pre-defined Security Policy.
* Edit existing Security Policy.
* Create own Security Policy (i.e. the firewall rule set configuration).
* Monitor running applications that access network.
* Monitor selected/all the network packets as well as selected network events.
I. Low-level network packets filtering. The level checks network packet validity as well as various parameters of the network packet (like source and destination addresses, protocol, etc.) The level helps a lot to make your computer invisible in non-trusted network. For example, if you set the Optimal Protection Policy in Jetico Personal Firewall, the ShieldsUp! Internet security probing tests will report that your computer is "Stealth", i.e. from the standpoint of hacker, the computer does not exist on the Internet.
II. Application-level network events filtering. The level filters network connections on per application basis allowing to monitor, limit or block network activity of concrete Windows applications. If you are not sure why some program sends or receives data from Internet, you can block network activity of the program.
III. Filtering of user-level process activity. This kind of protection notifies user and cuts off dirty tricks performed by trojans and other malicious programs. For example, such a trojan can inject its own code to the memory of running well-known and trusted program, like Internet Explorer, and later make Internet Explorer's process send or receive data the trojan wants to transmit.
At the moment Jetico Personal Firewall detects and prevents such a network activity of malicious programs that are illustrated in firewall test programs like AWFT, DNStest, Copycat, FireHole, Ghost, LeakTest, MBTest, Outbound, PCAudit, PCAudit2, Surfer, Thermit, TooLeaky, WallBreaker, Yalta and Yalta Advanced (*).
(*) The Yalta Advanced test program incorrectly reports about successful sending of packets when firewall rejects them. To get correct results you should configure the test program to send network packets to your other computer where you can log all incoming traffic. As soon as Jetico Personal Firewall starts to reject Yalta's packets, you can detect that on your second computer.
Total control over network events
The user can view the list of critical network events in the firewall Log tab. For example, if the firewall rejects some dangerous network packet, a correspondent string appears in the list of logged events.
In general, the user can evaluate all the network traffic that is under control of the firewall. Besides of this, the user can enhance a pre-defined firewall Policy set of rules. In the Configuration tab in the firewall interface you may notice a "tree" structure of the firewall rules set, created for the selected Policy. The user can add his/her own rules, view or edit existing rules or make firewall log events, correspondent to some firewall rules.
Firewall X-treme Series
Firewall X-treme is a security software program that provides you with comprehensive protection from data thieves and hackers. It creates barriers to prevent unauthorized access to your computer from a network and helps you to protect your computer according to the pre-set security rules. Firewall X-treme also lets you monitor, control and log your network activities. This firewall does not allows uninstallers tools to track it and to remove this soft you will have to re-run its setup: choose <repair> or <uninstall>. The shareware is a trial for 15 days. This tool is just for beginners in security issues.
Firewall X-treme keeps hackers out and personal data in. Shield your system with our proven firewall solution. Online hackers break into unprotected PC systems and In seconds, they can steal private files, credit card statements, tax records, passwords--even Social Security Numbers.
Firewall X-treme offers great protection by automatically hiding your PC on the Internet and monitoring all Internet connections to and from your computer. You will be alerted to attempted intrusions--including port scans. You will automatically block any system trying to probe your PC, as well as prevent personal data from being sent to Web sites without your knowledge. Your confidential data in your e-mail, Web sites, and instant messages will be protected, banner ads and pop-up's will be blocked faster Web browsing, and you can perform extensive cleaning of your browsing history. Firewall X-treme is feature rich, intuitive and easy to use.
Easy to Set Up and Use
Simple to configure - No technical knowledge needed. Choose the settings based on your security needs. Change them at any time with a specially designed, easy-to-use interface.
Stealth Mode makes your PC totally invisible to the Internet & continuously works in the background, blocking unknown or suspicious activity and alerting you when someone tries to connect to your PC.
Privacy Protection for You and Your PC
Designate which data you want to protect and stop applications from sending information to the Internet without your consent.
Safe Web Surfing
Firewall X-treme protects you from malicious external attacks, detects and blocks hacker programs that may have been delivered to your system through e-mails, network connections, instant messages, or web sites.
What is my IP?
Download here this fine Whois View!
Type in a host name or IP address and WhoisView will retrieve the ownership information by digging through various authoritative whois servers. WhoisView will find information all other similar tools are unable to or don't bother to locate.
[Download exe] install not required: simply get the *.exe and click it